List of Publications
Books (in Korean except otherwise noted)
Articles (in English)
- Legal Issues arising out of Trans-Border Data Flow, Jipmoondang, 2015
* Selected as one of the superb scholary books in 2015 by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism.
- Global Privacy Protection - The First Generation, Edward Elgar Publishing, November 2008 (co-authored)
- Jurispendium series of case law books (class packets)
- Global Corporate Finance Law (2011), IT Law (2012), International Business Law in the Unification Era (2012)
- Dictionary of Banking and Financial Law, 2006 (editor/reviewer)
- Project Financing under the Private Sector Initiative, 2004
- Proposed Collateral Regime in North Korea in a Unification Era, 2004
- Introduction to the Law on International Business Transactions, 2000 (co-authored)
- Corporate Insolvency Regime in Korea, 1999 (co-authored)
- Financial Innovation of ABS: Its Structuring and Practices, 1999 (co-authored)
- International Business Law II - Cases and Forms, 1996
- International Business Law, 1995
International Business Transactions :
Data Protection :
- Normative Direction and Tasks for North-East Asian Development Cooperation, GTI Conference at YB Univ., China, October 2013.
- Study on the Roles of the Smart Grid Enhancing Infra-building Operators and Related Legislative Improvements
- Co-authored and presented to Korea Power Exchange together with Duk-Chan Yoon, July 2012.
- How to Encourage and Upgrade Grass-roots Efforts to Create a Systemic Legal Information Institute from the Korean Experiences
- Law via the Internet 2011, University of Hong Kong, June 10, 2011.
- Legal Issues for the Promotion of Knowledge-based Service Industries in Korea [Abstract]
- Kyung Hee Law Journal, March 2010.
- Legal Issues of a Consulting Agreement [Abstract]
- Korea International Trade Law Journal Vol.15 No.2, December 2006.
- Does Movie-making Based Upon a Real Life Story Harm the Right of Personality? [Abstract], Nov. 2006.
- How to Reflect Sustainable Development, exemplified by the Equator Principles, in Overseas Investment [Abstract]
- Korea International Commerce & Law Review Vol.31, August 2006.
- Legal Issues Concerning Offshore Financial Centers [Abstract], 2005.
- Legal Issues on the Breach of Contract or Tort Claims against Erroneous Credit Ratings [Abstract], 2004.
- Korean Perspectives on the Worldwide Increase of Socially Responsible Investment [Abstract], 2004.
- Korean Perspectives on the Enhanced International Standards of Environmental Disclosure [Abstract], 2003.
- Legal Aspects of International Joint Ventures [Abstract]
- Korea International Trade Law Journal Vol.18, August 2002.
- Venture Boom and the Role of Korea's Bank, 2000.
- The Corporate Insolvency Regime in Korea [Full text], 1999.
- Legal Aspects of On-going Financial Reform in Korea [Full text], 1998.
- New Trend in Private International Law and Our Response [Abstract], 1998.
- International Jurisdiction over Products Liability Suits [Abstract], 1997.
- Guarantee and Quasi-Guarantee in International Transactions, 1997.
- Current Trends in Counter Trade, 1994.
- Legal Framework of EMU and the Euro, 1988.
Secured Transactions & Collateral Law :
- Government Access to Personal Data and ISPs¡¯ Response [Abstract], June 2016.
- South Korea's innovations in data privacy principles: Asian comparisons
- Computer Law & Security Review 30, October 2014.
* As of 19 March 2015, this paper had been downloaded 1,054 times at the SSRN portal [INTL: Political & Legal Issues (Topic) Top Ten].
- Korea's major financial institutions suffer data breach
- Privacy Laws & Business International Report No.127, February 2014.
- Korea's new Act: Asia¡¯s toughest data privacy law
- Privacy Laws & Business International Report, June 2012.
* [Full Text] Personal Information Protection Act & Enforcement Decree, translated by Prof. Whon-il Park.
- Koreans embrace social networks largely unaware of privacy risks
- Privacy Laws & Business International Report, February 2012.
- Korea reforms data protection law
- Privacy Laws & Business International Report, February 2011.
- The Significance of Data Protection in Korea
- Interviewed with Joni Sham from Sydney University, Korea JoongAng Daily, February 19, 2011.
- E-Commerce and the Compliance Issue in respect of Data Protection
- Joint Seminar co-hosted by KHU Law School and Wyoming Univ. College of Law, May 28, 2010.
- Extracts from the Data Protection Act of Korea, unofficial translation, February 2010.
- Latest Amendments to the DP Act (2005-2009)
- The Gist and full text of the Act on the Use and Protection of Credit Information
- It came into force on October 2, 2009.
- Privacy Protection in South Korea (Chapter 7)
- Global Privacy Protection - The First Generation, Edward Elgar Pub. U.K., Nov. 2008.
- Koreans fear for privacy in a stranger's call
- Privacy Laws & Business International Report, October 2008.
- Cyber fury and DP law revision in Korea, PL&BInt, June 2008.
- Protection of Youth on the Internet in Korea and the United States - A Comparative Analysis [Abstract], June 2008.
- Convergence and Confusion in Korea's Post-Election Data Protection, PL&B Int, April 2008.
- Recent Data Protection Developments in South Korea, PL&B Int, December, 2007.
- Privacy Issues and Public Opinion in Korea [Full Text], September 2007.
- RFID Privacy Protection Guideline has been revised in September 2007.
- Protection of Personal Credit Information in the Cross-border Financial Transactions [Abstract], 2006.
- South Korea's Anti-Spam Legislation, PL&B Int, May, 2006.
- New Legislative Proposals of Comprehensive Data Protection in Korea [Full Text], February 2006.
- Appropriate Data Protection Safeguards including Binding Corporate Rules As Required by EU [Abstract], December 2005.
- The Act on Promotion of Information and Communications Network Utilization and Data Protection, etc. [Excerpt] 2005.
- Legal Issues on the Enhancement of Cybersecurity [Abstract], 2004.
- The Appropriate Remedies and Redress for Data Protection in Korea [Full text], 2002.
- Data Protection Legislation in Korea [Full text], 2002.
- Data Protection Measures in line with EU Directive [Abstract], 2001.
Structured Finance & Derivatives :
- How to Efficiently Manage Movable Properties under the New Collateral Regime in Korea [Full Text]
- In celebration of the retirement of Hon. Dr. Kim Moon-Hwan, Beopmunsa, November 2011.
- What Legally Matters with Factoring in Korea? [Summary]
- Korea Financial Law Review, Vol.5 No.1, October 2008.
- Proposed Legislation on the Secured Transactions in Reliance on the Corporate Movables and Account Receivables [Summary], June 2007.
- Receivables Registration System in Korea [Abstract], 2006.
- RFID-attached Machinery Will Make It Possible for a Factory to Expand Its Collateral Pool Demanded by Creditor Banks [Abstract], 2004.
- A Paradigm Shift in a Modern Law on Secured Transactions [Full text]
- Journal of International Legal Affairs No.7, April 2003.
Unification & North Korean Law :
- Some Arguments regarding Credit Rating Agencies and Their Implications to Korea [Abstract]
- Journal of International Legal Affairs, Kyung Hee Univ., Vo.13 No.1, February 2009.
- Securitization of Stranded Costs for the Efficient Restructuring of Electricity Industry[Abstract], 2006.
- How to Apply a Project Financing Scheme in Korea[Abstracts], 2005.
- How to Attract the Private Sector Capital to Enhance SOC Investment in Korea [Abstract], 2005.
- Restructuring Infrastructure in Transition Economies and Its Implications for North Korea [Abstract], 2004.
- Legal Aspects of Collateralized Derivative Transactions [Abstract], 2004.
- Risk Securitization in Case of the CAT-Bonds [Abstract], 2004.
- The Enlarged Applicability of Structured Financing in Korea [Abstract], 2001.
- Legal Aspects of Private-initiated Infrastructure Financing [Abstract], 2000.
- Legal Framework for Infrastructure Financing in Korea [Abstract], 1999.
- Newly Amended Infrastructure Law in Korea [Abstract], 1998.
- Legal Issues and Risks of Securitization in Project Financing, 1998.
- Case Law on Irregular Swap Transactions, 1997.
- Legal Aspects of Credit Derivatives, 1997.
- How Can North Korea Improve the Collateral Regime for the Purpose of Economic Open Door Policy Compared with the Chinese or Vietnamese Model? [Abstract]
- The Northeast Asian Law Journal, Chonbuk National University, December 2008.
- How Can We Assess the Past 10-Year Developments of Outward Looking Economy and FDI Legislation of North Korea?[Abstract]
- Journal of International Society for Korea Studies in Seoul Vol.11, The International Society for Korea Studies Seoul Branch, August 2008.
- Is the Inter-Korean Win-Win Cooperation in the IT Sector Possible? [Full Text]
- Internet Law Journal Vol.4 No.1, October 2007.
- The Present Conditions and Prospects of Foreign Investment Laws in North Korea [Full Text]
- International Seminar co-hosted by North Korean Law Society and University of Hawaii School of Law, February 17, 2006.
- How to Enhance the Inter-Korean Exchange and Cooperation - Based upon the Inter-Korean Exchange and Cooperation Act [Full text]
- Studies on North Korean Law No.8, October 2005.
- A Legal Framework of Secured Transactions to Promote Investment in North Korea [Full text]
- Korea International Trade Law Journal No.12, February 2004.
- Family Trip to Jeju Island, July 2008.
- English haiku regarding "Must-See" Places in America, January 2008.
- Thank God, My Dreams Come True: Dr. David Hee-Don Lee, May 2007.
- What I did during the Privacy@40 Workshop in Bellagio, 2006.
- Traveling to Shanghai, February 2004.
- Vienna and Budapest, 2003.
- One Day in Hakone, 1999.
- Lessons from Backpacking, 1996.
- Holdup at Provence and Ethnocentricism in Europe, 1996.
- Emptiness on SMU Campus, 1994.
- Netherlander Has Come, 1988.
- Amsterdam Has It!, 1987.
My Life :
- One Month with Prof. Graham Greenleaf in Seoul, October 2009.
- LA Diary of a Visiting Scholar to UCLA School of Law [in Korean]: 44 remarkable episodes, February 2008.
- Globalizing Korea's legal education, JoongAng Daily, January 22, 2008.
- Wedding Ceremony of Jennifer Jeeyoung, July 2007.
- Commencement in the U.S., May-June 2007.
- Prof. LoPucki's class on secured transactions, April 2007.
- The Final Lecture on "The Alchemist", December 2006.
- Jae Kyun's Wedding in San Diego, Oct. 2006.
- What we should learn from Chinggis Khan, July 2006.
- Unforgettable Trip with Prof. Winship, 2003.